Operation Safe Driver Week: Watch Your Speed July 12-18
Even a national pandemic can’t keep law enforcement from tracking down unsafe drivers.
The week of July 12-18 is “Operation Safe Driver Week,” sponsored by the Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance, the trade association representing roadside inspectors. As reported in Transport Topics, during this dedicated driver safety week law enforcement across the nation will have an increased focused on the driving habits of commercial vehicle drivers.
This year’s Safe Driver Week will focus on speeding, which authorities say has increased because of declined highway traffic due to the COVID-19 pandemic. But speeding isn’t the only target for law enforcement. Other unsafe driver behaviors to be tracked by motor vehicle inspectors and police include:
- Distracted driving
- Failure to use a seat belt
- Following too closely
- Improper lane change
- Reckless or aggressive driving
- Failure to obey a traffic control device
- Evidence of drunk or drugged driving
The goal of “Operation Safe Driver Week” is to reduce incidents on the roadways caused by reckless or unsafe driving.
For carriers, this means:
- Follow the posted speed limits
- Plan for delays or heavier traffic resulting from roadside stops
- Notify TQL of loading delays that may impact delivery
- Always buckle up
- Don’t get distracted.
For customers, this means:
- There could be delays in your shipments
- There may be less truck capacity, resulting in higher rates
Remember, we’re available 24/7/365, so if you experience delays in shipping or need roadside assistance, reach out to your dedicated TQL LAE, or call 1-800-580-3101